Having anything on your window, whether it’s curtains, blinds or shades, prevents heat from escaping in the winter and cold air in the summer. That makes well-lined curtains or thick blinds or shades more than a matter of aesthetics.
Teddy Karl: The Great Cover-Up
• Shutters are one of the only window treatments that immediately translate into value for the house. They’re fairly energy efficient because of the way they are fitted onto the windows, and they come in composite as well as wood varieties.
• Some curtain styles are very simple, so that even if you’re using a more expensive fabric, you’re not using too many yards. A cornice is a nice way to finish out a window because it takes very little fabric. You can trim it with a braid or a cord with lip, which will add a nice look without a lot of expense.
People are also reading…
• There are some linens that are less expensive but can still give you a substantial look. And dupioni silk is a nice way to get a formal look without being too costly, yardage-wise.
Scott Segall: Victor Shade Company
• Everything you put in your window provides light control, privacy and some heat control. Even a wood blind, when you’ve got the louvers closed, creates a wall.
• If you’re looking for energy efficiency, there’s something called a Duette® honeycomb shade by Hunter Douglas. People like it because the honeycomb helps trap warm or cool air when you need to. And it comes in single, double or triple cells, for light control.
• Remember, you can move a blind or shade from one house to another; you just do cut-downs.
Ellen Ross: The Curtain Exchange
• From an efficiency standpoint, anything lined with regular drapery lining and a flannel inner-lining helps. With most curtain sellers, you have to specially request the flannel.
• Go to a showroom where you can actually take the curtain home and make sure it fits. People have made huge, expensive mistakes when they look at only a swatch of fabric and they haven’t seen the whole curtain made up.
• If you don’t want a full curtain, you can always do just a valance or a cornice, shades or swags.