Here’s my unofficial 10-point plan for May, folks!
1. In my opinion, Blues fans should be ticked off. Fifty-one years and counting – and no playoffs? A total of 16 teams make the playoffs. Please! G.M. Doug Armstrong is a really smart guy, and he’s surrounded by really smart people. I think the toughest decision they have to make is about the goaltender. He was pretty good in the final game of the season; however, can you win it all with Jake Allen between the pipes?
2. I think it’s insane that high school basketball superstars have to go to college for a year. What’s the point? They go to class the first semester, and then they can blow off going the second semester, instead leading their school to the NCAA tourney. Are they really college athletes? No – so let them go straight to the NBA.
3. I’m addicted to the Showtime series Billions. Damian Lewis, as Bobby Axelrod, is the new J.R. Ewing. Paul Giamatti, as Chuck Rhoades, plays a ticked-off role better than anybody. Maggie Siff, as Wendy Rhoades, is so provocative. I’d rather watch it than sports.
4. The best bit of television in sports is the back nine of the Masters! I love basketball and deeply care about baseball, football and basketball; however, there’s nothing like golf. CBS does it so well. By the way, I can’t wait till the PGA Championship comes to our town this August.
5. I would’ve preferred that St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Tommy Pham had used better language when he talked to Sports Illustrated a few weeks back, but I also would prefer if every member of the organization were as committed to excellence as Pham. I have never seen him playing Ping-Pong or video games in the clubhouse. The man’s all business.
6. We all know what it’s like to go over budget. Maybe you spent too much money during the Christmas season, for instance. However, what the Rams are doing with their new stadium is preposterous. They were supposed to spend approximately $1.9 billion originally, but now they could be getting close to $5 billion.
7. We do these “Frank’s Food Picks” on KSDK. It’s really a tough job. We have so many incredible restaurants in our town. The beef Wellington at Herbie’s was strong. Pappy’s was out of sight. And the lobster rav at Gian-Tony’s – wow.
8. I would never second-guess a young man about choosing a college outside of our area. Do what you want. However, I will say this. When a kid leaves town, we care a whole lot less. If a kid goes to SLU, Mizzou or Illinois, he won’t be forgotten.
9. Doing talk radio, I get a pretty good view of how the town sometimes feels about sports figures. I can’t understand for one second how in the world Bill DeWitt would not be considered great. He’s the best owner our town has ever had. He conducts his business with dignity, and his success is undeniable.
10. If I were in charge of college sports, I would not allow a kid to be forced to stay at the university during the summer months. Kids should all go home and hang with their families. They spend too much with their sports and not enough with their brothers and sisters and moms and dads.
Frank Cusumano is a 17-time Emmy Award-winner on KSDK-TV; he also hosts The Pressbox on The All New 590 the Fan from 10 a.m. to noon each weekday and contributes to The Dave Glover Show on FM NewsTalk 97.1. Follow him on Twitter @frank_cusumano.