Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:00 pm
Make plans for Beauty Buzz, a spring beauty party to benefit THE PRESS CLUB OF METROPOLITAN ST. LOUIS. This year’s event will feature light bites, giveaways and six beauty bars staffed with experts from Chanel, Christian Dior, Bobbi Brown, Sisley, ReVive and others. Co-chaired by KSDK Newschannel 5’s LEISA ZIGMAN and her daughter, MICAILA EDLIN, the event will be held Saturday, Feb. 22, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Neiman Marcus. Proceeds will benefit media scholarships for area students. For tickets, visit stlpressclub.org.
Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:00 pm
We've re-visited several old favorites lately that have replaced longtime chefs with new ones. The latest is Vin De Set, which recently said goodbye to executive chef Ivy Magruder and welcomed chef Ryan Buettner into that position. While it's always a bit worrisome when a kitchen gets shuffled around, we're happy to report that this transition of power has been seamless—and delicious.
Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:00 pm
Well, it has been a strange year in cinema. We’ve had movies without plots, without dialogue and without acting—although I guess as long as Vin Diesel is in the business, that’s always a possibility. We’ve had Oscar winners churn out stinkers and first-time actors deliver award-worthy performances. Without further ado…
Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:00 pm
D'oh! Strange Donuts has opened at 2709 Sutton Ave. in Maplewood. Look for 12 fresh donut varieties each day, and late-night hours for you night owls with a donut craving. Meanwhile, Blind Tiger at Sutton Place is slated to open soon at 7376 Manchester Road, and will offer signature pizzas and a bar with an emphasis on whiskies.
Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:00 pm
BILL KUNZ, owner of Highway 61 Roadhouse in Webster Groves, and TOM COGHILL, owner of Iron Barley in South City, are heading to New Iberia, La., to compete in the annual World Championship Gumbo Cook-off this month. Some 100 teams are expected to participate in the event. ‘Bill and Tom's Gumbo Road Trip’ will kick off with a party at Highway 61 Roadhouse this Saturday, Oct. 5, from noon to 6 p.m., featuring a whole hog cook-off and live music. Good luck and safe travels!
Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:00 pm
The third annual Ladue News Show House opens to the public next month. This year’s Show House, 23 Lenox Place in the Central West End, is filled with details of Old World craftsmanship and touches of Gilded Age elegance.
Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:00 pm
It's summertime, and that means craft beer: ST. LOUIS CRAFT BEER WEEK will be held at a variety of venues around town from July 27 through Aug. 4. Events will include include tap takeovers, beer dinners, beer-and-cheese tastings, Firkin Fest and the second annual Midwest Belgian Beer Festival. Some of the locations include the 33 Wine Shop, Llywelyn’s Pub, Schlafly Tap Room, Milagro Modern Mexican, Perennial Artisan Ales, Cicero’s, International Tap House, 4 Hands Brewing Company, Urban Chestnut Brewing Company and Handlebar. For more information, visit stlbeerweek.com.
Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:00 pm
Could there be a more appropriate first date for a pair of dyed-in-the-wool St. Louisans than attending a baseball game and cheering for their beloved Cardinals? Regardless of the score, things certainly turned out well for Caley Barnhart and Jack Lawlor.
Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:00 pm
Chef EDWARD FARROW has been tapped to oversee the kitchen at the soon-to-open Panorama Restaurant in the Saint Louis Art Museum's new East Building, set to debut this summer. Farrow is a CIA grad and a member of Slow Food and is known for his dedication to local purveyors. Most recently, he served as executive chef at the cafe of the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Az.
Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:00 pm
It’s been announced that after 30 years, Dierdorf & Hart’s Steakhouse will be closing its doors in Westport Plaza. Since opening in 1983, the establishment has served as a go-to meeting place for many a business deal and countless special occasions for local families. The restaurant was locally owned and operated by former football greats DAN DIERDORF and JIM HART, and managing partner LOU GARESCHE. Lunch service ended last week, and dinner service will continue until Saturday, May 18.
Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:00 pm
The Missouri History Museum is now offering a fun way for history buffs and barflies alike to gain an appreciation and a new perspective on the city’s fine public houses. The new initiative is called History On Tap: Pub Tours of St. Louis' Historic Neighborhoods. The first excursion led participants through Soulard. The next tour will focus on Dogtown and is scheduled for Wednesday, July 24. More info can be found at mohistory.org.
Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:00 pm
You voted, we listened! Ladue News readers know what they like; and with this year's Platinum List, you've made your voices heard. This list compiles the best of St. Louis.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:00 pm
Franco in Soulard has announced that JOHN DREJA, late of Vin De Set, is the new executive chef, taking over for chef KRIS JANIK.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:00 pm
Pomme Restaurant in Clayton is celebrating its 10th anniversary this month by giving something back to the community. From Oct. 16 to 27 (excluding Sundays and Mondays), Pomme will donate 10 percent of food sales to Operation Food Search. During these 10 days, corkage fees will be waived on any 2002 vintage, and guests can register to win a 10-year-old bottle of Macallan Scotch.
Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:05 pm
Since it opened in Lafayette Square in 2003, Eleven Eleven Mississippi has earned a reputation as a first-rate culinary destination, the flagship eatery in the restaurant group of Paul and Wendy Hamilton, who also own Vin de Set, PW Pizza and Moulin Events. Chef Carl Hazel, late of The Scottish Arms, recently came aboard to run the stoves at Eleven Eleven, so the time was ripe to revisit.
Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:34 pm
- EarthDance will host the annual Pesto Festo at the Ferguson Farmers Market, 20 S. Florissant Road, on Saturday, July 14. The free event is a celebration of the basil season and all things local and sustainable. Highlights include a pesto cooking contest, kid’s yoga class, pesto cooking demos by local chefs and book signings by local authors. For more information, go to earthdancefarms.org.
- More restaurant debuts to report! Southwest Diner has officially opened its doors at 6803 Southwest Ave. (naturally). The menu features a variety of Mexican cuisine and classic diner fare. And food truck favorite The Sweet Divine has bowed its first brick-and-mortar location at 4521 S. Kingshighway.
- 4 Hands Brewing Co. initially hosted a rotating roster of food trucks to supply sustenance to its hungry patrons. But the brewery now has its own on-site eatery. The Fifth Wheel, a new restaurant from DAVID BAILEY, has opened in the brewery, offering a variety of sandwiches and appetizers. There's not much of a kitchen on premises, so most of the menu will be supplied by the commissary at Bailey's Range. 4 Hands also will be teaming up with Balaban’s Wine Cellar & Tapas Bar later this month for a beer dinner. The event will take place on Sunday, July 22, at 6:30 p.m. and will feature a five-course meal paired with five of the brewery’s beers for $55. Call 636-449-6700 or go online at balabanswine.com for details and reservations.
- Travel and food aficionados will soon have the opportunity to indulge both passions on the high seas. Vin de Set’s executive chef IVY MAGRUDER will be teaching a culinary class aboard Oceania’s new vessel, Riviera, in the Bon Appetit Culinary Center, the only hands-on cooking school at sea. Hone your culinary skills while enjoying Caribbean ports-of-call like Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, Saint Lucia and St. Barts. The cruise will take place Jan. 23 to Feb. 2, 2013. For more information, call 1-877-313-9009 or log on to cruisingwiththechefs.com.
- The Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch has begun participating in Hyatt’s global healthy eating plan, Food. Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served., which the company introduced at its U.S. properties last year as part of the Hyatt Thrive global responsibility platform. The property’s restaurants and room service will be providing dishes with natural ingredients, employing sustainable practices and sourcing from local purveyors, among other initiatives.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:12 am
- Big news from the CWE. WES JOHNSON, co-owner and executive chef at Salt, has left the restaurant he helped lead to a James Beard nomination. Johnson is now working at Cafe Pintxos, the eatery in the Hotel Ignacio in midtown, as executive chef and soon he’ll be debuting a new project, Fixe. Johnson says the restaurant will be only open on weekends and will provide a smaller and more intimate dining experience. Johnson says he’s scouting some potential locations in the U. City area and hopes to open the doors sometime this fall. Johnson is partnering up with fellow chef BRENDAN NOONAN, who currently works at Harvest, in the endeavor. The two have worked together in the past at such popular culinary destinations as Eclipse, The Scottish Arms and The Shaved Duck. We can’t wait to see what they come up with.
- Chez Leon has closed its doors. The high-end French eatery, which moved to Clayton from its original CWE location in early 2010, was apparently a victim of the continuing sluggish economy.
- Chef CHRIS DIMECURIO, most recently at Taste by Niche, is now chef de cuisine at Vino Nadoz in Richmond Heights.
- Curbside Cookery is the latest food truck to hit the St. Louis scene. The truck will be serving up comfort food favorites like grilled cheese and burritos, and is expected to be on the road later this month, according to owner DAVID JOHNSON. In other mobile food news, L’Ecole Culinaire’s Le Food Truck, which debuted a couple of months ago, and has been focusing on stops in the county, is now venturing into the city to sell its wares.
- Pi at the MX, the latest eatery in the Pi Pizzeria empire, has opened its doors at the Mercantile Exchange Building (hence the name) at 610 Washington Ave.
- The Saint Louis Brewers Heritage Festival will be held from Friday, June 15, through Sunday, June 17, at Ballpark Village downtown, across from Busch Stadium. Guests will get to sample 80 beers from more than 15 local breweries, eat fine fare courtesy of Vin de Set, Harvest, Companion, LoRusso’s, and Sqwires, as well as enjoying live music and a variety of other activities. Go online for more details at stlbrewfest.com
Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:13 pm
Vin de Set unveiled a new, more French-centric menu late last year, and we’ve been anxious to give it a go for a while. We finally made it over to the Choteau Avenue eatery recently, and came away impressed—and satisfied!
Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:58 am
St. Louis has an abundance of culinary destinations that offer al fresco seating options in addition to their fine food and drink. Here’s a list of some of our favorite fresh-air dining spots.
Vin de Set Dining
Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:28 pm
- Restaurateur ZOE PIDGEON, the force behind such popular eateries as Bobo Noodle House and I Fratellini, is planning a new project. Pidgeon has taken over the space across the street from I Fratellini, formerly the longtime home to Wydown Shoe Repair, and plans what she calls a petite cafe/bar with a French accent. The new eatery is still unnamed, but plans are currently in place for a summer opening.
- It’s already time to start planning that Easter brunch. Cafe Madeleine at the Piper Palm House in Tower Grove Park will be serving an array of locally inspired favorites on Easter Sunday, April 8, and will offer three seatings: 10 a.m. to noon; noon to 2 p.m.; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Reservations can be made by calling 575-5658. At Vin de Set, chef IVY MAGRUDER and staff will be preparing some classic brunch dishes and some French fare, as well. Call 241-8989 for reservations and info. And Bixby’s in the Missouri History Museum will be featuring a varied brunch menu, a complimentary glass of Champagne, and as always, a grand view of Forest Park. Three seatings will be available for this brunch, as well: 10 a.m. to noon; noon to 2 p.m.; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. For reservations and info, call 361-7313 or visit online at bixbys-mohistory.com.
- Gastronomes who’re interested in getting an up-close view of what goes on in a professional kitchen can now dine at the chef’s table at Cielo in the Four Seasons. For $125 per person, diners get a five-course, wine-paired dinner prepared by chef FABRIZIO SCHENARDI, personal service from restaurant manager ALEC VAN MEIJEREN and a birds-eye view of all the behind-the-scenes action.
- Congrats to chef JOSH GALLIANO of the recently shuttered Monarch in Maplewood. He’s been named People’s Best New Chef-Midwest by Food & Wine Magazine. Another popular Maplewood chef, CASSY VIRES of Home Wine Kitchen, also was in the running.
- Oenophiles interested in exploring Missouri wine country can now download apps for their iPhone and Android devices, courtesy of the Missouri Wine and Grape Board. Links to the apps can be found at missouriwine.org. Old-schoolers also can download a hardcopy of the 2012 Missouri Wine brochure at the site, as well.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:34 pm
Once again, Ladue News readers have proven that they’re in the know about our town’s most exciting hot spots! This year’s Platinum List features iconic St. Louis institutions, as well as some new spots you’ll be wanting to check out.