Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:15 am
Longtime restaurateur Kim Tucci, founder of The Pasta House Co., is among those being honored by Paraquad at its upcoming AccessibleSTL Shine the Light Awards for his work to promote a fully accessible community for people with disabilities.
Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:00 pm
The Libertine has been making quite a splash with evening diners since opening its doors earlier this year. Now, chef JOSH GALLIANO is making his fine cuisine available to daytime customers, as well. The Libertine's new lunch menu, available Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m to 2 p.m., will feature such delicacies as ramen, Bahn Mi and Galliano Fried Chicken Salad, among others. Can't wait to try 'em all!
Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:00 pm
Get your appetites ready, because next week is the ninth annual Downtown Restaurant Week in the Lou. From Monday, Aug. 19, through Sunday, Aug. 25, enjoy a special three-course menu for $25 at 27 different eating and drinking establishments in the heart of the city. Get the whole rundown of participating venues at downtownrestaurantweek.net.
Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00 pm
Many of us think we know what we like when it comes to the arts in St. Louis, but sometimes the most thrilling performance or the most moving canvas can be found in an unexpected place. We asked some of the area’s most plugged-in artistic leaders and supporters about their favorite arts experiences—perhaps you’ll find a new place to love!
Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:00 pm
St. Louis restaurants were well represented on the Opinionated About Dining's Top 25 Midwest Restaurants list that was recently released. Niche took the No. 2 slot; Sidney Street Cafe was No. 8; Stone Soup Cottage was No. 11; Brasserie by Niche came in at No. 12; Farmhaus garnered No. 13; and Tony's landed at No. 20; and Harvest rounded out the list at 22. Well done!
Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:00 pm
This summer, think of your backyard as the next decorating frontier. Use designer-quality furniture, rugs, lighting and charming decorative accents for stunning results.
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:00 pm
I’ve been putting off writing this story for some time—too many things to tell you about and too little space. Yes, San Diego has a brilliant blue ocean and blue skies most of the time, mild temperatures year-round, a strong Spanish/Mexican heritage that permeates most of its architecture and culture, a huge U.S. Navy presence, amazing beaches and golf courses, a wealth of public and private universities and a world-famous zoo. You knew all this already, didn’t you?
Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:00 pm
This year is the 20th anniversary of Dining Out For Life, the national fundraiser for AIDS service organizations. This year's event on Thursday, April 25, involves a variety of local eateries that will donate 25 percent or more of your bill to Saint Louis Effort For AIDS (SLEFA). More than 100 area restaurants are participating. For the full list, visit diningoutforlife.com/stlouis/restaurants. Since 1990, Dining Out For Life has raised more than $4.3 million for SLEFA.
Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:00 pm
You voted, we listened! Ladue News readers know what they like; and with this year's Platinum List, you've made your voices heard. This list compiles the best of St. Louis.
Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:00 pm
A telegraph key and $150 links St. Louisan Derek Cohn to Steven Spielberg’s Oscar front-runner, Lincoln. The movie has received widespread critical acclaim and has been nominated for 12 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:31 pm
Big congrats go out to Robust in Webster Groves and Copia Restaurant And Wine Garden downtown. The two vino-centric eateries made Open Table's Diners' Choice 2012 Most Notable Wine List Top 100. Way to represent the Lou!
Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:25 am
This week, we continue our conversations with LN’s Show House designers. The 2012 William Bernoudy Ladue News Show House opens Oct. 5 and runs through Oct. 21. For ticket information, visit laduenews.com or call 269-8836.
Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:59 pm
Chef JACK MACMURRAY III has taken the position of executive chef at Schneithorst’s Restaurant & Bar. MacMurray recently announced the move on his Facebook page, adding, “Look for German-American favorites with my Jack Mac Twist.” MacMurray, formerly the executive chef at Sage in Soulard, has been consulting on a number of projects since leaving that post last year.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:13 pm
Clayton favorite Oceano Bistro has debuted another location at 16125 Chesterfield Parkway West in Chesterfield, while the space at 2001 Park Ave. that once housed Arcelia’s is now the home of Laredo on Lafayette Square, which is serving up both classic Mexican and Mexican-fusion cuisine.
Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:20 pm
The eighth annual TomatoFest will be held Sunday, Aug. 12, from 2 to 7 p.m. at Iron Barley. The event will feature a variety of tomato dishes, tomato dodge ball, tomato art and other tomato-related contests and activities, as well as a live auction at 6 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. All proceeds will go to support Lift for Life Gym. For more information, call 351-4500 or email email@example.com.
Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:55 am
SAM FOX, the former U.S. ambassador to Belgium, is the recipient of one of that country’s highest honorific decorations, the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown. The award was presented during a Washington reception in Fox’s honor by Belgian Ambassador Jan Matthysen. The Grand Cross was bestowed at the behest of KING ALBERT II in recognition of Fox’s meritorious service to the Belgian state when he was posted in Brussels from 2007 to 2009.
Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:35 pm
Lucas Park Grille was one of the cornerstones of the revitalization of downtown’s Washington Avenue when it opened back in 2004. Despite its prominence on the local dining scene, we’d never made it in. Recently, we decided to rectify this oversight and headed down for a bite.
Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:24 pm
Atlas Restaurant is one of those establishments that has quietly built a loyal following over the years while staying a bit under the popular radar. The restaurant was founded by Jean Donnelly and Michael Roberts, and changed hands a couple of years ago when it was taken over by Diane and Bryan Carr, who also own Pomme Restaurant and Pomme Cafe & Wine Bar.
Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:22 am
- Chef CLARA MOORE of Local Harvest Cafe made her television debut last week as a contestant on Bravo’s latest culinary competition show, Around the World in 80 Plates, which takes 12 chefs through a variety of countries where they complete food-based challenges. Unfortunately, she was the victim of a treacherous co-competitor and was voted off the show. She made a good effort and represented the Lou well. Good job chef!
- Diners in West County have a new option for Mexican fare. Fiesta! Modern Mexican Cuisine debuted May 3 at 185 Hilltown Village Center in Chesterfield, near Highway 40 and Olive Blvd. The menu features south-of-the-border faves like fajitas, quesadillas and empanadas, among others.
- Brunch fans will be pleased to hear that long-time favorite Atlas Restaurant has started brunch service on Saturdays and Sundays between 8 am and 2 pm. The new menu features omelets, French toast, buttermilk pancakes and quiche, among other tempting dishes.
- Schlafly has added another offering to its stellar roster of beer festivals. On Saturday, May 26, from 10 am until 6 pm, the parking lot of the Schlafly Tap Room will be the site of Pork Shop: A Downtown BBQ & Garage Sale. Those interested in cleaning out their garages and basements can sign up to be vendors and bring their wares down for sale. Chef ANDY WHITE will be roasting six whole hogs, and there will be live music, as well as plenty of Schlafly beer on tap. Goodwill will have a donation site set up for any items that don’t sell. More details are available at schlafly.com.
- Looking for something to do in the early evening downtown? The Downtown St. Louis Community Improvement District is hosting Wednesday Night Out, a downtown happy hour, every Wednesday from May through August from 4 to 7 p.m. Enjoy drink and food specials at some of the best bars and restaurants in the city. For details and a full roster of participating venues, go online at downtownstl.org/wednesdaynightout.
- Parents searching for something to keep the kids occupied after school lets out, check out L’Ecole Academy’s Young Chefs Summer Camp. L’Ecole chefs will be teaching children (ages 8 to 14) how to make a variety of food, from pizza to scones. The classes will be held at the L’Ecole Culinaire Academy for Culinary Development, 9200 Olive Blvd., Suite 108, in Olivette. Classes will be held daily from 8 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. during the three one-week sessions available: June 25 through 29, July 9 through 13. and July 23 through 27. For more info, go to lecoleacademy.com.
Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:20 am
St. Louis is now home to the WORLD’S LARGEST CHESS PIECE, as certified by the folks at Guinness World Record. The 14-foot, 16-inch tall piece—a king—is 6-feet wide at the base. It was unveiled earlier this week to kick off the U.S. Championship and U.S. Women’s Championship at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis in the Central West End. Tournament play began May 8 and will run through May 20.
Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:51 am
Chef MIKE WARHOVER, late of Terrene and Bailey’s Range, has taken over the kitchen at Modesto, replacing GRACE DINSMOOR, who recently left the restaurant.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:01 am
- Crushed Red-Urban Bake & Chop Shop, the new fast-casual eatery from restaurateur CHRIS LAROCCA, has officially opened at 8007 Maryland Ave., in the old Dick Blick location.
- Chicago-based Potbelly Sandwich Shop has announced via its website that it’ll be opening a location in the old Provisions Gourmet Market building in Creve Coeur. No word yet as to how much of the space the restaurant will occupy. Opening is slated for this summer.
- Sombrero Mexican Food opened its 20th location Feb. 22, in O’Fallon, Mo., at 1491 Mexico Loop Road. The eatery, located in the former home of Del Taco, offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, and features simple, home-style dishes. The owner/franchisee of the new Sombrero is JOHN BARNETT of The Melting Pot fame. The Sombrero chain is headquartered in San Diego.
- Local chef and restaurateur JIM FIALA is headed to New York City next month. He’s been invited by True Refrigeration of O’Fallon, Mo., to prepare a multi-course dinner for 50 home design professionals at NYC’s James Beard House.
- Some of the best bartenders in the area will be competing at the
2012 Don Q/United States Bartender’s Guild St. Louis Mix-Off on Sunday, March 4, at Blood & Sand downtown. The winner of the contest will compete against other guild chapter winners at the Manhattan Cocktail Classic in May. This year, the event is open to the public. Admission can be obtained for a donation of $25, with proceeds benefiting the USBG, as well as Stray Rescue. Samples of the competing cocktails and light apps will be offered. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Modesto Tapas Bar & Restaurant is commemorating its 10th anniversary by publishing a cookbook featuring some of its most popular recipes. Owner BRENDAN MARSDEN and executive chef GRACE DINSMOOR have put together a list of 25 of their favorites, and are asking for feedback from Modesto’s Facebook fans. Eight of the recipes, one per week, will be shared on the Modesto FB page, and fans are encouraged to view, share and test the recipes at home. Those who offer feedback or photos of their final results will be entered in a weekly giveaway, which may include Modesto gift certs and copies of the book. Some of the comments and photos might even make it into the final version of the book.
Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:17 pm
Describing his family as ‘tennis nuts,’ Dan West says it’s not
unusual to see a net strung across the driveway of their home,
practice shots lobbing through the air. The Wests’ current
residence is just a few blocks from their first one, and the family
has called Webster Groves home for 20 years. Other tennis nuts
include Dan’s wife, Peggy, and their sons Joe, a student at the
University of Dayton; and Peter, a freshman at Chaminade. Asked if
he thought Joe would return to Webster after graduation, Dan
laughed, “Isn’t that what St. Louis people do?”
Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:28 am
- James Beard Award-winning chef and St. Louis native PATRICK
CONNOLLY will be the star attraction at a very special dinner on
Saturday, March 10, at Chandler Hill Vineyards. Connolly, the
executive chef at The Kitchen in New York City, has done time in
some of the best restaurants on the East Coast, including BoBo in
NYC and Radius in Boston. The dinner will consist of four to five
courses, created by Connolly and Chandler Hills chef COREY
ELLSWORTH. The cost for the event is $89 per person, with a wine
pairing option. For reservations, call 636-798-2675 or
- Southside favorite SweetArt has introduced a new menu,
featuring baked savory items. The plan is to switch up themenu
weekly and use asmany seasonal ingredients that are available. Look
for four to six different (vegetarian and/or vegan) ‘pies’
eachweek. There alsowill be aweekly seasonal salad and soup. Those
with a sweet tooth, don’t fret; dessert pies, cupcakes, cookies and
bars will still be available.
- MIKE WARHOVER has joined the kitchen team at chef BRIAN
HARDESTY’s new eatery, Root.Warhover and Hardesty worked together
before at the now-shuttered Terrene in theCWE.Most
recently,Warhover was executive chef at Bailey’s Range.*
- Harvest in Richmond Heights will be serving Sunday brunch from
10 a.m. until 2 p.m. beginning Feb. 5. The menu will include shrimp
and grits, smoked salmon, Belgian waffles and crepes, among other
- The 15th annual LoRusso’s Pasta Bowl is taking place on Monday,
Jan. 30, at LoRusso’s Cucina. This year, three winners frompast
years will go up against each other, with the winner securing a
spot on the regularmenu for the next year. Every time it’s ordered,
$2 will be donated to Operation Food Search. Cost to attend is $65
per person plus gratuity. Reservations can bemade by calling
647-6222, ext. 102, or go to lorussos.com.
- 4 Hands Brewing Company now has its beers available at 20 area
bars and restaurants, including both locations of International Tap
House, The Crow’s Nest in Maplewood and Bailey’s Range downtown.
Look for 4 Hands brews in bottles in the near future, too.
- The Missouri Winefest is back for its 26th year. The event will
be held Feb. 11 and 12 fromnoon until 5 p.m. atWestport Plaza. More
than 50 wines from Missouri wineries will be available for tasting
and purchase. Cost to attend is $20 per person, and proceeds
benefit The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Info at westportstl.
com, or call 576-7100.