Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:00 pm
Steve Scorfina, antique 'picker,' was once the lead guitarist for legendary rock band REO Speedwagon, and later, the iconic ‘70s St. Louis band, Pavlov’s Dog.
Friday, February 22, 2013 3:12 pm
DATE AND LOCATION CHANGED, CATERER ADDED FOR INAUGURAL ST. LOUIS THEATER CIRCLE AWARDS
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:27 pm
Performances by local professional theater companies, ranging in size from The Muny and its productions in the 11,000-seat Forest Park amphitheater to small companies performing in modest spaces throughout the area, will be recognized at the inaugural Louie Awards.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:00 pm
PAUL LAURITSEN has been named as the new general manager of Moonrise Hotel.
Steve Karagiannis, Andy Benes former Cardinals Pitcher, Peter Clark, David Bailey
Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:34 pm
- EarthDance will host the annual Pesto Festo at the Ferguson Farmers Market, 20 S. Florissant Road, on Saturday, July 14. The free event is a celebration of the basil season and all things local and sustainable. Highlights include a pesto cooking contest, kid’s yoga class, pesto cooking demos by local chefs and book signings by local authors. For more information, go to earthdancefarms.org.
- More restaurant debuts to report! Southwest Diner has officially opened its doors at 6803 Southwest Ave. (naturally). The menu features a variety of Mexican cuisine and classic diner fare. And food truck favorite The Sweet Divine has bowed its first brick-and-mortar location at 4521 S. Kingshighway.
- 4 Hands Brewing Co. initially hosted a rotating roster of food trucks to supply sustenance to its hungry patrons. But the brewery now has its own on-site eatery. The Fifth Wheel, a new restaurant from DAVID BAILEY, has opened in the brewery, offering a variety of sandwiches and appetizers. There's not much of a kitchen on premises, so most of the menu will be supplied by the commissary at Bailey's Range. 4 Hands also will be teaming up with Balaban’s Wine Cellar & Tapas Bar later this month for a beer dinner. The event will take place on Sunday, July 22, at 6:30 p.m. and will feature a five-course meal paired with five of the brewery’s beers for $55. Call 636-449-6700 or go online at balabanswine.com for details and reservations.
- Travel and food aficionados will soon have the opportunity to indulge both passions on the high seas. Vin de Set’s executive chef IVY MAGRUDER will be teaching a culinary class aboard Oceania’s new vessel, Riviera, in the Bon Appetit Culinary Center, the only hands-on cooking school at sea. Hone your culinary skills while enjoying Caribbean ports-of-call like Tortola, Antigua, Barbados, Saint Lucia and St. Barts. The cruise will take place Jan. 23 to Feb. 2, 2013. For more information, call 1-877-313-9009 or log on to cruisingwiththechefs.com.
- The Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch has begun participating in Hyatt’s global healthy eating plan, Food. Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served., which the company introduced at its U.S. properties last year as part of the Hyatt Thrive global responsibility platform. The property’s restaurants and room service will be providing dishes with natural ingredients, employing sustainable practices and sourcing from local purveyors, among other initiatives.
Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:29 pm
- The fifth annual Top Chef: The Tour returns to St. Louis on Saturday, June 30, at Soulard Farmer’s Market. ‘Chef’testants’ Ed Lee from Top Chef season nine and Kenny Gilbert from season seven will compete in a live interactive cook-off. Three shows are scheduled at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more info, go to bravotv.com/thetour.
Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:06 pm
- Maggiano’s Little Italy and Make-A-Wish Foundation are partnering for a Casino Night event at the restaurant on Wednesday, June 27, from 6 to 9 p.m. The evening will feature dinner, casino games and prizes, and will raise funds to help a local Make-A-Wish ambassador achieve his dream of going to Hawaii. For info and tickets, call 827-2148.
- Look for The Shaved Duck on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, where it will be featured later this year.
- Chef ERIC BRENNER, of Moxy fame, will be heading to NYC this summer to work full-time for Bold Organics, the organic gluten- and dairy-free frozen pizza business he helped found last year. Brenner tells us he’ll be heading up the marketing effort, as well as working on product development, but he’s not leaving St. Louis behind: He’ll still be involved with Robust (where he has been serving as ‘chief culinary officer‘), including the opening of the restaurant’s new digs in the Mercantile Building downtown, as well as consulting for Isle of Capri. Good luck!
- 4 Hands Brewing Company will be working with several local restaurants this year on custom concoctions. The brewery is creating PiPA, an American pale ale, specifically for sale at area Pi Pizzeria locations. There are plans in the works for a collaboration with Pappy’s Smokehouse, dubbed Smoked Pigasus, which will be available around town in September. Pappy’s will be smoking the malt for this rye porter. And there will also be a collaboration on a sweet potato-based brew called Morning Glory with restaurateur DAVID BAILEY, which will be showing up in area watering holes.
- Chaumette Vineyards & Winery in Ste. Genevieve has opened the Barn At Chaumette, a renovated stable that will serve as a premier event space, and will be hosting Five First Fridays to celebrate. The events will feature live music, food and drink and be held on the first Friday of the month from June through October. The owners hope to take advantage of the ‘barn wedding’ trend. More info is available at 573-747-1000.
- Mobile eatery Steamroller Bagel & Deli has hit the streets, offering fresh sandwiches on steamed bagels. Fans can keep up with the truck on Twitter @SteamrollerSTL, on Facebook at SteamrollerSTL or on the company website, steamroller.com. Speaking of food trucks, local favorites Seoul Taco and Guerilla Street Food head to Chicago in July for a brief tour, showcasing the best of St. Louis street foods.
- Look for Melt, a new cafe boasting coffee, specialty drinks, waffles and more to open its doors this month at 7700 Ivory Ave. in Carondelet.
Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:01 pm
Bailey’s Range, restaurateur David Bailey’s foray into the world
of gourmet burgers, opened downtown last fall and quickly gained a
reputation as the place for burgerphiles to indulge their meaty
Friday, November 11, 2011 10:23 am
◆The latest Saint Louis Bread Co. bakery/cafe officially opened
on Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 10336 Clayton Road, adjacent to Plaza
Frontenac. The new location features Bread Co.’s fresh artisan
breads and quality ingredients, as well as the company’s take-out
concept, Saint Louis Bread Co. Catering.
Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:00 am
It’s been announced that Chef BRIAN HARDESTY has
officially stepped down as executive chef at Terrene. Taking
over the kitchen is Chef MICHAEL WARHOVER,
formerly the sous chef at Terrene. Hardesty will be focusing on
opening his new food truck, Guerilla Street
Food, which he hopes to get rolling sometime later
in the spring. Good luck to both!
Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:00 am
ROBERT MCCULLOCH, DAVID DICK and JAMES
HOLLORAN have been elected to the board of directors for
the St. Louis Society
for the Physically Disabled and GARY
SIEGEL has been elected as president of the board.
Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:00 am
When Jon McDaniel took his girlfriend Emily to Steinberg skating
rink in February 2008, he was definitely thinking about ice, but
not the frozen variety. Claiming he had to clean off his skate
blade, he borrowed her glove as they sat on a bench, recalls
Emily’s mom, Beryl Cohen. “She was a little bit annoyed, wondering
why he was getting her glove all wet,” Cohen says. “And the next
thing she knew, he was on one knee, with a diamond ring in his
hand.” Cohen adds that since Valentine’s Day had just come and gone
without a proposal, her daughter was very surprised, but managed to
say ‘yes’ through happy tears.
Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:00 am
Ready to rejuvenate? Ditch the black and drape yourself in color
or luxurious whites. Spring is finally here and the stores are
stocked. Try a chunky wedge shoe and pile on the
accessories—there's no such thing as too bright or too much!
Photography by Suzy Gorman | Models: Miran, Krissy, Karen, Carmen,
David and Candace
Thursday, February 4, 2010 12:00 am
Birthday candles: International Tap
House owners BRAD LOBDELL and
SEAN CONROY (who is also a KTVI reporter) are
celebrating the one-year anniversary of their Chesterfield pub this
week. The party ends on Super Bowl Sunday with a chili cook-off.
Conroy and Lobdell are also negotiating the lease for a second
location in Dog-town…Square One Brewery and
Distilling in Lafayette Square will celebrate its
four-year anniversary Feb. 22. Sip some Anniversary Ale or try a
cocktail made from its ‘Spirits of St. Louis’ line.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:00 am
Bailey of Baileys’ Chocolate
Bar and Rooster is poised
this month to open Bridge, a
multi-story wine bar and tap house located next door to Left Bank
Books on Locust near 10th Street. You’ll find 36 brews on tap, 100
bottled beers, 18 wines by the glass, an extensive by-the-bottle
wine list, PLUS full-service dining. The restaurant’s name is,
among other things, a reference to Bailey’s late brother’s love of
the violin, and the decor reflects that.
Friday, February 20, 2009 12:00 am
• Bravo to our hometown chefs! Last week the nominees for the
2009 James Beard Foundation
Awards were announced, and St. Louis was a
big winner with THREE nominees! Niche’s GERARD
CRAFT, Monarch’s JOSH GALLIANO, and
Sidney Street’s KEVIN NASHAN were among the 20
semifinalists for Best Chef Midwest. This is huge, so keep your
fingers crossed; five finalists will be announced March 23 and the
awards given May 4 in NYC.
Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:00 am
Shriners of North America has appointed DOUG MAXWELL as
president and CEO.
Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:00 am
Play: 90 Years of Muny Magic
Friday, March 21, 2008 12:00 am
Friday, January 18, 2008 12:00 am
• Congratulations to ROOSTER! The crepes cafe recently received
a Cityscape Award from Downtown Partnership. The tiny Locust Avenue
crepe and sandwich spot is also expanding into the space next door.
Owner DAVID BAILEY, who also debuted Bailey’s Chocolate Bar, wants
us to know that both restaurants do off-site catering, gift boxes
and offer delivery.