Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:00 pm
Another production year in the fields is winding down at Claverach Farm, but there’s a lot to look forward to in 2014 and beyond. For many years, Claverach Farm has had a presence at area farmers markets and as a produce supplier to a few of St. Louis’ popular restaurants, including Sidney Street Cafe, Stellina, Oceano Bistro and Farmhaus, just to name a few. But in more recent years, operations on the Eureka farm have grown and expanded, with great promise for the future.
Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:00 pm
The small Fenton-based Stringbean Coffee and the cow-to-cup Windcrest Dairy in Trenton, Ill., are among many local companies turning to collaboration for inspiration, promotion and expansion.
Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:00 pm
At Utterback Farms, a lost art—with roots dating back to ancient times—has been found.
Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:00 pm
Any city is bound to have a few desirable nooks and crannies, but according to these real estate professionals, St. Louis is jam-packed with ideal neighborhoods. Before you buy, see which areas these agents prefer and why.
Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:00 pm
Food, fun and fireworks will highlight Fourth of July celebrations throughout the St. Louis community. Here, find out the festivities your neighborhood has planned for Independence Day.
Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:00 pm
THROUGH 6/16 TWELFTH NIGHT Shakespeare Festival St. Louis presents its 13th annual play, Twelfth Night—an intimate, romantic performance set to live music—at Forest Park. Free. 8 p.m. nightly, except Tuesdays. 531-9800 or sfstl.com.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:00 pm
Neighborhood farmers markets are re-opening and welcoming back local producers—a very exciting time for those of us who enjoy the bounty of our bi-state area!
Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:00 pm
You voted, we listened! Ladue News readers know what they like; and with this year's Platinum List, you've made your voices heard. This list compiles the best of St. Louis.
Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:00 pm
The past year has been a busy one for the St. Louis culinary scene. Here are a few of the highlights from 2012:
Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:00 pm
Imagine you’ve reached a career rut—maybe you want to leave it all behind and dive into entrepreneurship, return to school or finally write that book you’re always talking about.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:13 pm
Clayton favorite Oceano Bistro has debuted another location at 16125 Chesterfield Parkway West in Chesterfield, while the space at 2001 Park Ave. that once housed Arcelia’s is now the home of Laredo on Lafayette Square, which is serving up both classic Mexican and Mexican-fusion cuisine.
Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:58 pm
This summer, the Clayton Farmer’s Market has been hosting a series of cooking demos, where area chefs browse the market, pick out ingredients and come up with a dish to prepare. This Saturday, Aug. 18, chef CASSY VIRES of Home Wine Kitchen in Maplewood will be the featured culinarian. Stop by the market and see what Chef Cassy comes up with!
Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:29 pm
- The fifth annual Top Chef: The Tour returns to St. Louis on Saturday, June 30, at Soulard Farmer’s Market. ‘Chef’testants’ Ed Lee from Top Chef season nine and Kenny Gilbert from season seven will compete in a live interactive cook-off. Three shows are scheduled at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more info, go to bravotv.com/thetour.
Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:55 am
- Chef GERARD CRAFT’s latest restaurant, Pastaria, is scheduled to open later this summer in Clayton, but it’s already creating a national buzz: Food & Wine magazine lists the eatery in the Where To Go section of its July issue.
- The owners of the late Monarch Restaurant in Maplewood have announced the space will be converted into a private event venue. The catering division of Herbie’s Vintage 72, which is owned by the same folks, will supply the bang in the kitchen. The space measures about 10,000 square feet and can be configured for a variety of group sizes.
- The North City Farmer’s Market, located across from Crown Candy Kitchen, is offering cooking demonstrations in conjunction with Operation Food Search on the second Saturday of each month through October. OFS provides recipes and mans the stoves for the demos, and we’re told that local chefs may be stopping by throughout the season to help out. The market is open Saturdays from 9 a.m. until noon, and the demos take place starting at 10:30 a.m.
- EarthDance has purchased the Mueller Farm in Ferguson, the 14-acre spread the organization has been leasing since its inception in 2008. EarthDance not only grows food but educates new farmers through its nationally recognized Organic Farming Apprenticeship Program.
- We told you a while back about the expansion of Local Harvest Cafe & Catering into new spaces downtown and in Kirkwood. Well, Phase One is complete, with the downtown location in the Old Post Office building officially open. We also mentioned recently that Urban Chestnut Brewing Company was in the process of constructing an outdoor beer garden. We’re pleased to report that space debuted earlier this month.
- Anheuser-Busch is adding two new refill options and some new accessories to its Draftmark refillable home draught system. A-B fans can now get Michelob AmberBock and Shock Top Wheat IPA brews for the system, as well as a new cold gel wrap to keep the suds cold outside the fridge. A new tap stand is expected to hit stores in July.
- Sub Zero Vodka Bar not only has the largest selection of vodka in the country; it now serves lunch daily. The CWE favorite also boasts a new private event space and a remodeled sushi bar.
- The Cheese Shack is the latest food truck to hit the St. Louis scene. The bright yellow mobile eatery serves up custom grilled cheese creations. Keep track of them on Facebook to see where they’ll be offering up their cheesy wares next. Also, LuLus Local Eatery, which sports a rooftop garden on its truck, has been named one of the World’s Coolest Food Trucks Ever by The Daily Meal.
Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:17 pm
- Restaurateur FRANK SCHMITZ, of BARcelona, Bocci Bar and Coastal Bistro & Bar fame, is set to open a new garden cafe in Clayton’s Shaw Park this summer. The concept is still being developed, but we’ve been told by Clayton city officials that the cafe will hopefully be open in mid-June and will be located outside in the Century Garden area of the park, with seating for approximately 40. No word yet on specific menu items, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Market Grill in Soulard, which retooled last year and brought chef JONATHAN OLSON on to helm the kitchen, will be closing its doors effective Saturday, June 9. Olson tells us the restaurant just wasn’t able to make things work financially. He says he’ll be taking some time off this summer, then start contemplating his next move. We wish him and the rest of the staff all the best.
- Perennial Artisan Ales has created Brew for the Crew, a Munich lager brewed exclusively for Farmhaus Restaurant. To celebrate the release of the beer, the brewery and the eatery are teaming up to celebrate with the Brew For The Crew BBQ. The event will be held at the brewery, 8125 Michigan Ave., on June 9, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., with the BBQ courtesy of Farmhaus. There’s no cost to get in, and food and beer will be available for purchase.
- Turkish restaurant Aya Sofia will be hosting a wine dinner, featuring five courses from chef MEHMET YIDIZ paired with wines courtesy of sommelier JILL ABOUSSIE of Trademark Wines. The dinner will be held on Wednesday, June 13, at 6:30 pm. Call 645-9919 for reservations.
- The historic Soulard Farmers Market will be holding a series of cooking tutorials this summer, dubbed Food 101: The New Chef Demonstration Series. These free classes will be held on select Saturdays through June from 10 a.m. until noon and will feature technique demos and recipes. More info at soulardmarketstl.com.
- Mount Pleasant Estates will be hosting its second Uncorked...From The Barrel To The Bottle class on Saturday, July 14, from 2 to 4 p.m. Guests will get to taste the same young wines out of French oak barrels that the Mount Pleasant team tastes before bottling, as well as sample gourmet hors d’oeuvres. The tasting is limited to 20 guests. More info is available at mountpleasant.com.
- Congratulations to TJ VYTLACIL of Blood & Sand, TED KILGORE of Taste and JOEL CLARK of Sanctuaria. All three eminent St. Louis mixologists will have original cocktail recipes featured in Gaz Regan’s 101 Best Cocktails 2012, to be released later this year.
Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:00 am
Mayor Linda Goldstein feels honored to have served the city of Clayton for five years now. Originally from Chicago, she relocated to St. Louis many years ago and was delighted to discover all the great things Clayton had to offer.
Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:00 pm
The Zodiac restaurant, located in Neiman Marcus, has debuted a new menu celebrating the St. Louis Cardinals. Redbird-centric items include Saint Louis Beer & Cheese Soup, Ball Park Chili, Triple Play Slider Plate, Batter Up Bistro Burger and a Cardinal Red Velvet Cupcake, among other delicacies.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:42 pm
Most Beautiful Place for a Wedding
Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:34 am
Our fervent wait for homegrown lettuce, asparagus, carrots, leeks, potatoes, beets and mushrooms (should I go on?) on our plates is almost over! With the days numbered, anticipation is growing for the grand re-openings of our area’s farmers markets.
Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:14 am
◆ On Saturday, Dec. 3, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., there will be a
Farmer’s Winter Market, courtesy of the good folks who bring us the
Clayton Farmer’s Market. The market will be held indoors at The
Center of Clayton, 50 Gay Ave., and will feature the same great
farm products, as well as other artisan products.
Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:00 am
Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:00 am
Pizza, at 2017 Choteau Ave., the latest addition to
the stable of PAUL and WENDY
HAMILTON (Eleven Eleven Mississippi, Vin De Set, Malt
House Cellar and Moulin Events), is now open. The pizzas feature
three different crust options, including a gluten-free version.
Also, VITO RACANELLI’S Mad Tomato opened
officially at 8000 Carondelet Ave. in Clayton, and the new
Stadium Bar &
Grill opened May 9 at Lumiere Place Casino.
Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:00 am
ALEKSANDAR JOVANOVIC, former GM at SLeeK
Steakhouse at Lumiere Place, has been tapped as the GM and
sommelier at Truffles. He
replaces John Cain, who moved over to Annie Gunn’s earlier this
year. Truffles executive chef JOHN GRIFFITHS has
also told us that the first round of improvements to the dining
room, including a custom service table, should be completed in the
next month or so.
Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:00 am
Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:00 am
second location of family-owned frozen yogurt purveyor Chill is scheduled
to bow today at 11935 Manchester Road in Des Peres. The new space
will offer the same 30 rotating yogurt flavors and 26 toppings as
the Clayton-based original, as well as following suit and donating
a percentage of its profits to Friends of Kids With Cancer.