While the act of shampooing the hair clean dates back centuries, products that truly concentrate on enhancing and nurturing the tresses are a relatively modern-day phenomenon. Here, we bring you some of our picks to address matters of the mane, from dryness to dullness and everything in-between.
Clockwise, from top left:
1) A blend of six oils (coconut, argan, macadamia nut, sweet almond, safflower and grapeseed) works together for a clear, light-as-air formula in BUMBLE AND BUMBLE’s Bb.Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Sulfate Free Shampoo ($30). Follow with Bb.Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Conditioner ($33) to soften, tame, de-frizz and protect. bumbleandbumble.com.
2) Protect color and add shine with KERASTASE REFLECTION Bain Chroma Captive shampoo ($39). Use in tandem with Fondant Chroma Captive conditioner ($42), both made with linseed oil, and containing vitamin E and UV filters to guard against premature color-fading. Available at Dominic Michael Salon.
3) DAVINES Melu Shampoo ($23.50) combines vitamin-rich and antioxidant spinach extract and other strengthening ingredients for breakage-prone hair. The anti-breakage Melu Conditioner ($26.50) complements with apricot butter and other soothing, hydrating ingredients. davines.com.
4) Is there anything better for a hair boo-boo than bananas and butter? Say no more with Blousey Shampoo ($26) from LUSH. Fruit extracts and rich butters combine to moisturize parched hair. Follow with Retread ($30), a conditioner chock-full of super-smoothing ingredients like fresh cantaloupe for shine and bounce. Available at LUSH St. Louis Galleria and Macy’s West County Center.
5) Fight frizz and soothe split ends with BLOW PRO Damage Control Daily Repairing Shampoo ($17). A blend of natural proteins replaces lost nutrients, while a phytokeratin complex plumps up strands and prevents frizz. Pair with Damage Control Daily Repairing Conditioner ($17) with organic shea butter for deep nourishing and hydration. blowpro.com.