We’ve all been told about the sunscreen…but what are you doing to protect your hair? The summer sun, as well as saltwater and chlorine, can wreak havoc on your tresses. Lucky for you, we’ve got a selection of hair protectors to defend against dullness, dryness and damage. Ka-pow!
(Products from left to right:)
1. Almond butter, argan oil and other moisturizers combine to treat sun-, chlorine- and sea-damaged hair in DAVINES’ Su/Pak Nourishing Replenishing Mask. Use weekly on clean, wet hair for five to 15 minutes to replace softness, moisture and shine. $27, davines.com
2. Make BUMBLE AND BUMBLE’s Sunday Shampoo with ginseng, rosemary and sage a weekly ritual to cleanse away impurities like product residue, hard water minerals and pollutants. Warning: Not for color-treated hair. $23, available at Saks Fifth Avenue, Mitchell James Salon, Preston Salon, Breeze Blow Dry Bar and other fine salons.
3. Looking for that carefree, just-off-the-beach look? The lightweight Maui Wowie Beach Mist from PHILIP B. infuses hair with body and brings out its natural wave. Aloe vera, algae extract and other nourishing ingredients combine for a island-y scent that feels like a day on the beach. Works on wet or dry, straight or wavy hair. $22, available at Neiman Marcus.
4. Before heading out to the pool (or the ocean), spritz on some DAVINES Su/Oil all over the hair, especially on the ends. Argan and jojoba oils, as well as vitamin E and UV filters, provide anti-oxidant, anti-aging and sun protection. Great for color-treated hair! $28, davines.com.
5. OUIDAD Wave Create Sea Spray gives curly hair that windswept, devil-may-care look. Natural seawater, sea salt and plant-derived humectants work wonders to lock in waves, while seaweed and algae extracts keep hair moisturized. $23, available at Sephora and Ulta.
6. Let a bouquet of orange blossoms, grapefruit, neroli and rosewood perfume your hair, while the mist works its magic in LUSH’s Sea Spray. Can be used before blow-drying for hold and style, or dry hair for texture. $13, available at LUSH St. Louis Galleria and Macy’s West County Center.
7. Add a bit of shimmer with AERIN’s Beach Cream, a conditioning formula for hair and body to combat dryness from the sun, wind and surf. The sun’s warming rays help deeply condition hair, plus the light floral scent promotes relaxation. $45. available at Neiman Marcus.