Fall fashion means bold colors, textures and prints. Here, local boutique shopkeepers share details about these trends and more for the upcoming season.
Nancy Lehtman, DISTINCTIONS
- GO BOLD. This fall is color galore— royal blue, bold reds, mustards and purples.
- POP OF COLOR. Colored bottoms are again going to be big.
- TIMELESS TREND. Dresses reminiscent of the ’60s are back in style.
- ACCENT IT. Vests, as well as novelty jackets and coats, also are very popular.
- COMFORT CLOTHES. There’s a lot of comfort in this fall’s fashion, such as stretch jeans.
Kim Riordan JEANS, JACKETS AND JEWELS
- DARK DENIM. Go with gem-colored denim, such as forest green, slate gray or burgundy.
- ON THE FRINGE. For footwear, choose fringe boots.
- ALL ABOUT LACE. Mix lots of lace into your fall wardrobe.
- LAYER IT UP. Add accessories like scarves, multi-strand bracelets and initial necklaces.
- FABULOUS FUR. Faux fur is another big trend.
Nina Engelsmann, IVY HILL
- BACK TO BOHEMIAN. Tribal prints are in as part of a ’70s revival of the bohemian look.
- STRONG SILHOUETTE. With The Great Gatsby movie coming out, flapper era-inspired silhouettes, such as drop-waist dresses, are back in.
- IN TUNE. Tunic-style tops are another popular piece for your fall wardrobe.
- ANIMAL INSTINCT. Snake-skin prints for clothing and accessories also are big.
- BRIGHTEN IT UP. Bright colors are always popular for fall.
David Shockley SAVILE ROW CUSTOM CLOTHIER
- TAKE TWO. The trend is still leaning toward two-button coats for suits and sport coats, with the button stance a little higher, making it a more current look.
- SOFT LAYERS. In fall fabrics, cashmere for blazers will be big.
- FALL FLANNEL. We also are seeing flannel suiting in browns with some gold and burnt orange tones.
- SUIT UP. Dressy suiting is also back—in dark black and navy with a tone-on-tone pattern in the fabric.
- SLEEK STYLE. Flat-front, non-pleated pants in darker tones complete the look.
Julie Stotlar BYRD STYLE LOUNGE
- SOPHISTICATED SHOES. We are losing the platform shoe and going back to the sophisticated pointy shoe with a smaller heel.
- MIX-AND-MATCH. Weather is really affecting fashion—you can mix summer pieces with your fall and winter wardrobe, such as pairing longer shorts with coats.
- BACK IN BRIGHT. Bright colors also are back for fall.