If your home is your castle, the bathroom is the inner sanctum. New features let homeowners personalize the space, so they can start or end their day in a calming, relaxing oasis.
LEIGH SUFFIAN, IMMERSE BY ATLAS
- Spa day. We offer luxury showers that you used to only be able to find at a spa. We have steam showers, as well as ones with chromatherapy (color therapy), aromatherapy and music capabilities built right in.
- Soak it in. If you wanted bubbles in your bath, it used to be just Whirlpool jets. Now there are air masseur tubs, which create a Champagne bubble effect, plus you can use salts and oils. Another new kind of therapy is offered by Jason—the tub creates tiny microsilk bubbles that inundate the tub with oxygen to actually clean your skin without soap, leaving it soft and silky.
- Up-to-date and organized. Bath cabinets and storage spaces are taking on new roles—you can get a bath cabinet with a TV in the display, along with outlets and mirrors inside.
STEPHANIE ELZEIN, GRANITERRA KITCHEN, BATH & STONE DESIGN STUDIO
- Make it count. We’re seeing more people forgoing a tub in their master bath, in favor of a large, spacious shower. A big open shower with different sprayers can be very luxurious. Some, don’t even need a door because they’re so big.
- Big and bold.We’re seeing larger floor tiles, like 12- by 24-inches or 24- by 24-inches. Metallic tile also is becoming popular, or sometimes a metallic glaze over an earthy color.
- Glam it up. A fancy chandelier in a powder room is an unexpected twist.
JENNIFER TRENTADUE, HENRY PLUMBING KITCHEN AND BATH GALLERY
- In the open. The biggest change we’re seeing is freestanding tubs—they run the gamut from traditional with claw feet to contemporary. Some people will do one color inside and another outside. We also see copper with stainless steel wrapped around them—they’re breathtaking.
- Singing in the rain. Rain heads in the center of the shower, combined with multiple body sprays, are very popular. The key is you have to have someone who really understands water pressure to make it work well.
- A work of art. Vessel bowl sinks are exploding in their variety. You can get wild colors like hot pink or purple; a beautiful stone or onyx; or even bamboo. They can really be a piece of art.