According to area professionals, a remodeled bath is another home transformation that can provide bang for your buck. But before embarking on such a project, learn what to keep in mind to attain all your objectives.
TRICIA SINN, SINN DESIGN BUILD
- Usually, it’s best to do all of something: For instance, just redoing countertops is not a great pop for the money. A person’s eye is going to go to the thing that’s old, like an ugly brown tile floor. But you don’t have to go crazy with materials if budget is a factor.
- Stone can be a huge resale factor, and granite prices have really come down. And if you use what we call ‘boneyard’ material, a leftover remnant from a previous project, the fabricator will typically sell it for less.
- With cabinets, go with a mid-line that is constructed well with clean, simple lines. Cabinetry can go all over the board from very inexpensive to custom-made. You’ll want to be careful with your selection if you plan to sell in the near future.
- People love heated floors, and especially for Ladue News readers, we’ve been putting in lots of them in master baths. They used to be quite expensive, but the price has come down quite a bit.
BOB ROBBEN, ROBBEN CONTRACTING
- Bathroom styles change every 10 years, and it’s important to keep them up to date. But if the house is older and there’s galvanized plumbing, lead drains and cast-iron stacks, then my suggestion is to gut the space and replace the bones of the bathroom. It’s a lot more expensive, but it gives the plumbing another 50 years of life.
- When you want to move fixtures to a new location, you have to redo the plumbing and get inspections. Even if you change a tub to a shower, the plumbing has to be changed.
- We don’t suggest using inexpensive fixtures, as the headaches and repairs and service calls are not worth the money saved.
- We have clients who are keeping or installing correct-to-the-period fixtures in older homes. If the fixture’s finish is chipped, faded or discolored, then it can be refinished with a ceramic-type glaze.