From fine dining to quaint parks, posh hotels and designer boutiques, Clayton boasts extensive options for a relaxing and indulgent weekend.
Start off your weekend at a hip café for breakfast or brunch.
• City Coffee House & Creperie, 862-2489, citycoffeeandcreperie.com. This European style coffeehouse serves up sweet and savory crêpes, Belgian waffles, homemade pastries, espresso, coffee, tea and fresh fruit smoothies.
• Companion Bakery, 721-5454, companionstl.com. This local bakery is not only known for its craft breads, but also the conversation guests have as they enjoy breakfast on its popular patio near the heart of Clayton.
Other best bets for breakfast:
• Northwest Coffee Roasting Company, 725-8055, northwestcoffee.com.
• Half & Half, 725-0719, halfandhalfstl.com.
• Kaldi's Coffee House, 726-2900, kaldiscoffee.com.
Once your morning coffee kicks in, hit downtown Clayton for some designer shopping.
• Byrd Style Lounge, 721-0766. This boutique boasts designer duds—from Diane Von Thurstenberg and Christian Dior to Kate Spade—as well as services including personal-style consulting and private parties.
• Laurie Solet, 727-7467. This premier shopping destination features women’s clothing and accessories from New York and Los Angeles designers.
• Elleard Heffern Fine Jewelers, 863-8820, heffern.com. This family-owned jewelry shop specializes in designer 18-karat gold, platinum and sterling silver jewelry set with fine gemstones, cultured pearls and spectacular diamonds.
• Simons Jewelers, 800-767-3371, simonjewelers.com. With elite jewelry from designers such as Mikimoto, Penny Preville and David Yurman, Simons offers pieces ranging from classic to unique and serious to fun.
• Ivey-Selkirk Auctioneers and Appraisers, 726-5515, iveyselkirk.com. This family-owned auction company offers traditional 18th and 19th century fine art and antiques and other collectibles.
People-watch from a sun-drenched or shady patio seat as you pause for a bite at one of Clayton’s favorite lunch spots.
• Crushed Red, 725-8007, crushed-red.com. Handcrafted pizzas, hearty soups and chopped-to-order salads are prepared before your eyes.
• Posh Nosh, 862-1890, poshnoshdeli.com. Build your favorite kosher club and enjoy the street-side patio for people-watching while dining.
• Jimmy's Cafe on the Park, 725-8585, jimmyscafe.com. Plenty of meat-lover, as well as vegetarian choices are on the menu, and they can all be enjoyed on the shaded patio with a park view.
Other best bets for lunch:
• Araka, 725-6777, araka.com.
• Almond’s Restaurant, 725-1019, almondsrestaurant.com.
• Café Napoli, 863-5731, cafenapoli.com.
After lunch, take an afternoon stroll around a local park or indulge in a rejuvenating spa treatment.
• Shaw Park, 290-8516. Clayton’s oldest and largest park at 47 acres features a paved walking loop under a canopy of towering oak and maple trees. Other highlights include a pool, 10 tennis courts, three playgrounds, sports fields, gardens and picnic shelters.
• Oak Knoll Park, 290-8516. The 14.5-acre park named for its 150-year-old oak trees features a walking trail, picnic areas, a pond and a playground. Pamper Yourself
• Clare’s of Clayton Salon and Spa, 276-7852, claresofclayton.com. Clare’s pampers clients from head-to-toe with services for your skin, body, hair and nails in a relaxing atmosphere.
• Dominic Michael, 721-4230, dmsalon.com. This Clayton mainstay has provided hair, nail and skin services for more than 25 years.
For a relaxing dinner, choose from a myriad of traditional and modern establishments specializing in fine food and drink.
• J. Buck’s, 725-4700, jbucks.com. The popular eatery offers American cuisine, from beef and fish dishes to pizza with house-made dough.
• Barcelona Tapas, 863-9909, barcelonatapas.com. Reminiscent of a traditional Spanish tapas bar, groups can share small plate favorites such as Tres Quesos, Pimientos Asados and Tortilla Española.
• Ruth’s Chris Steak House, 783-9900, ruthschris.com. Enjoy a steak, seafood and cocktail amid an upscale, romantic atmosphere.
• Tucci & Fresta’s Trattoria and Bar, 725-6588, tucciandfrestas.com. Pair your favorite pasta and wine for a taste of Italy at this Tuscan-inspired restaurant and bar.
Other best bets for dinner:
• Oceano Bistro, 721-9400, oceanobistro.com.
• Mosaic, 621-6001, mosaicrestaurants.com.
• The Crossing, 721-7375, fialafood.com.
• Mad Tomato, 932-5733, madtomatostl.com.
At the end of an entertaining day, relax with a cocktail at one of Clayton’s chic hotel bars, then spend the evening in the comfort of a plush suite.
Enjoy the Weekend
• The Ritz-Carlton, 863-6300, ritzcarlton.com. Bask in extravagance in one of 300 guest rooms with private balconies that provide views of the St. Louis skyline. For added convenience, there’s dining, a climate-controlled indoor pool, as well as fitness and massage centers.
• Seven Gables Inn, 863-8400, sevengablesinn.com. This boutique hotel has 32 uniquely decorated rooms and suites, a quaint courtyard and relaxing bistro and bar to combine modern luxury and Old World charm.