With its grand historic homes and a French Norman clock tower as an entry gate, the private Central West End enclave named Washington Terrace, circa 1892, serves as a well-preserved keepsake of St. Louis glory days gone by.
Number 15, a Mediterranean-style villa constructed in 1913—almost a decade after the Louisiana Purchase Exposition—was designed by notable St. Louis architect William Levy for Thomas May, a director at May Department Stores.
Built with entertaining in mind, the home features all of its original finishes, including alabaster light fixtures, mahogany paneling, marble and wood floors, and ornate fireplaces—even an elaborately carved plaster mantle in the living room that has the faces of six unidentified children and a lion. The almost 8,400-square-foot manse has a distinctive tile roof, formal arched entry and windows, and a horizontal roof line that is reminiscent of the European villas of the era.
Honoring its original architectural elements, our town’s most prominent designers representing 18 area firms lent their extraordinary talents to re-establish Number 15’s remarkable place in St. Louis history.