Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:17 pm
- Restaurateur FRANK SCHMITZ, of BARcelona, Bocci Bar and Coastal Bistro & Bar fame, is set to open a new garden cafe in Clayton’s Shaw Park this summer. The concept is still being developed, but we’ve been told by Clayton city officials that the cafe will hopefully be open in mid-June and will be located outside in the Century Garden area of the park, with seating for approximately 40. No word yet on specific menu items, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Market Grill in Soulard, which retooled last year and brought chef JONATHAN OLSON on to helm the kitchen, will be closing its doors effective Saturday, June 9. Olson tells us the restaurant just wasn’t able to make things work financially. He says he’ll be taking some time off this summer, then start contemplating his next move. We wish him and the rest of the staff all the best.
- Perennial Artisan Ales has created Brew for the Crew, a Munich lager brewed exclusively for Farmhaus Restaurant. To celebrate the release of the beer, the brewery and the eatery are teaming up to celebrate with the Brew For The Crew BBQ. The event will be held at the brewery, 8125 Michigan Ave., on June 9, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., with the BBQ courtesy of Farmhaus. There’s no cost to get in, and food and beer will be available for purchase.
- Turkish restaurant Aya Sofia will be hosting a wine dinner, featuring five courses from chef MEHMET YIDIZ paired with wines courtesy of sommelier JILL ABOUSSIE of Trademark Wines. The dinner will be held on Wednesday, June 13, at 6:30 pm. Call 645-9919 for reservations.
- The historic Soulard Farmers Market will be holding a series of cooking tutorials this summer, dubbed Food 101: The New Chef Demonstration Series. These free classes will be held on select Saturdays through June from 10 a.m. until noon and will feature technique demos and recipes. More info at soulardmarketstl.com.
- Mount Pleasant Estates will be hosting its second Uncorked...From The Barrel To The Bottle class on Saturday, July 14, from 2 to 4 p.m. Guests will get to taste the same young wines out of French oak barrels that the Mount Pleasant team tastes before bottling, as well as sample gourmet hors d’oeuvres. The tasting is limited to 20 guests. More info is available at mountpleasant.com.
- Congratulations to TJ VYTLACIL of Blood & Sand, TED KILGORE of Taste and JOEL CLARK of Sanctuaria. All three eminent St. Louis mixologists will have original cocktail recipes featured in Gaz Regan’s 101 Best Cocktails 2012, to be released later this year.
Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:17 pm.