Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:07 pm
- ERIC SCHLOSSER, author of the bestselling tome, Fast Food Nation, will be the guest of honor at an April 24 dinner held at Farmhaus. The five-course meal will be created by chef JOSH GALLIANO, of the recently shuttered Monarch. Proceeds from the event will benefit Slow Food St. Louis’ Small Farm Micro Biodiversity Grant, and reservations are limited to 45 guests. For tickets, go to brownpapertickets.com/event/235999.
- Five Star Burgers, the latest project from chef STEVE GONTRAM, will be opening this summer at 8125 Maryland Ave. in Clayton, in the same strip that includes Almond’s and Half and Half. Look for a menu chock-full of beef burgers, with turkey, lamb, bison and veggie versions as well. Gontram tells us all of his products will be all-natural and hormone-free. If all goes according to plan, the eatery should be open by July 4.
- Chef BRIAN HALE, late of the Chase Park Plaza, is the new director of culinary operations for Coastal Bistro & Bar, Bocci Bar and BARcelona Tapas, the trio of Clayton restaurants owned by the brother-and-sister team of FRANK SCHMITZ and ELISE SCHMITZ.
- Chef CARL HAZEL is leaving his longtime post running the kitchen at The Scottish Arms in the CWE and will be assuming the role of executive chef at Eleven Eleven Mississippi in Lafayette Square early next month.
- We’ve been told that chef GRACE DINSMOOR, who recently left Modesto, is now working in the kitchen at Franco in Soulard.
- Congratulations to chef GERARD CRAFT of Niche, who has made the cut to become a finalist for the James Beard Awards Best Chef: Midwest. This year’s winners will be announced Monday, May 7. Good luck Chef!
- In other culinary award news, ANDREY IVANOV of 33 Wine Shop & Tasting Bar recently won the TopNewSomm Midwest regional finals sponsored by the Guild of Sommeliers. He’ll compete for the national title in San Fransisco in May. Congrats!
- More Easter brunch offerings to report: The Coronado Ballroom at 3701 Lindell Blvd. will be serving a menu that includes more than 100 selections, including a children’s buffet. The brunch will run from 10 a.m until 3 p.m with seatings every half-hour. Call 367-4848 ext. 100 for reservations. The Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis is taking a creative twist on tradition with a Willy Wonka Easter Brunch. Each party will receive a Wonka Bar, and five of those bars will contain a golden ticket, good for one of five prizes, including the grand prize: an overnight stay in one of The Ritz’s club suites. The brunch will take place from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call 719-1433 for reservations.
Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:07 pm.