TOP CHEF -- Season:9 -- Pictured: Edward Lee -- Photo by: Virginia Sherwood/Bravo
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:29 pm
- The fifth annual Top Chef: The Tour returns to St. Louis on Saturday, June 30, at Soulard Farmer’s Market. ‘Chef’testants’ Ed Lee from Top Chef season nine and Kenny Gilbert from season seven will compete in a live interactive cook-off. Three shows are scheduled at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more info, go to bravotv.com/thetour.
- The Block Restaurant Bar and Butcher Shop in Webster Groves will host its first beer dinner on Monday, July 30, at 6:30 p.m. The event will feature local beers from The Civil Life Brewing Company, Perennial Artisan Ales and Urban Chestnut Brewing Company, paired with a five-course menu. The breweries will each be showcasing two brews, and the brewmasters will be on hand to discuss their creations. The cost is $60 per person, and reservations can be made by calling 918-7900.
- Look for Capitalist Pig, a sustainable artisan barbecue spot, to open later this summer in Mad Art Gallery. Owner RON BUECHELE says the restaurant will serve up lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays. In addition to heritage hogs, the restaurant will feature compostable materials of all types, among other green practices.
- Whole Foods Market Galleria location will host its second annual Grass-Fed Beef Burger Cook-Off on Thursday, July 12, from 6 to 8 p.m. Local chefs will compete to see who cooks up the best burger, and the winner will receive $500 for a local charity of their choice. Come by, sample them all and vote for your favorite and be automatically registered to win a new outdoor grill. Competitors this year include KEVIN NASHAN of Sidney Street Cafe; CARY MCDOWELL of Winslow’s Home & Farm; CLARA MOORE of Local Harvest Cafe; DAVID BAILEY of Bailey’s Range; ANTHONY DEVOTI of Five Bistro; and ADAM GNAU of Acero.
- GREGG DOYLE has been tapped to be director of operations for Robust, effective July 9. Doyle most recently was group general manager for Mosaic Restaurants. He’ll oversee all operations for Robust’s Webster Groves location, as well as help develop the new location scheduled to open later this year in the MX building downtown.
- Companion has introduced a new (ahem) companion for its artisan baked breads, an all-natural Garlic Parmesan Dipping Oil. The oil features olive and grapeseed oils blended with Champagne vinegar, capers and parmesan. Look for it at Companion’s Clayton and Ladue cafes and its Early Bird Outlet in the city, as well as Straub’s and the Tower Grove Farmers Market.
Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:29 pm.