Saint Louis University Hosts E-waste/ShredMania Collection Drive Friday, March 28th
Drop off electronics items from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena
Drop off shredding items from 8 a.m.-12p.m. at Chaifetz Arena
St. Louis – Start your spring cleaning by recycling unused electronics, appliances and paper at the Saint Louis University 2014 E-Waste/ShredMania Collection Drive Friday, March 28th.
Help SLU meet its goal to take first place in the electronic competition of Recyclemania. Last year, SLU took 4th place in the nation during the competition, collecting 68,038 lbs or 34 tons of electronic equipment.
New to the drive this year, SLU is adding the shredding event in order to maximize the amount of paper that can be added to the Recyclemania competition. SLU’s goal is to reach 220,000 lbs of recyclable materials.
The drive is sponsored by SLU’s Facilities Services Division and Sustainability Advisory Council in partnership with the Midwest Recycling Center and Cintas. The drive is part of the University’s SLUstainability program in conjunction with the 2014 Recyclemania competition (an intercollegiate recycling competition between regional and national colleges and universities).
Items can be dropped off at the Fred Weber Parking Lot adjacent to Chaifetz Arena, 1 S. Compton Avenue. Volunteers will be available to help unload donations. Accepted items include:
Electronic Recycling Items
· Computer: Servers, desktop PCs, laptops, netbooks, Macs, tablets, keyboards, mice, speakers, modems, routers, cables, software and all other components and accessories.
· CRTs: Monitors, TVs (limited 1 per car for free, $15 for each additional under 27in. $35 for screens larger than 27in., cash or check accepted)
· Video and Photography: Blu-Ray players and discs, HD-DVD players and discs, DVD players and discs, Laserdisc players and discs, VHS players, Betamax players, DVRs, cable and satellite receivers, and digital and film cameras.
· Audio: Receivers, amplifiers, speakers, MP3 players, CD and cassette players, 8-track players, boomboxes, microphones, mixers and rack equipment.
· Office: Printers, copiers, projectors, scanners, faxes, ink and toner cartridges, shredders and paper joggers.
· Gaming: Consoles, hand-held systems, games, controllers, headsets and all accessories.
· Phone: All phones and accessories.
Appliance Recycling Items
· All appliances, large and small (blenders to refrigerators, stoves/microwaves, washers/dryers, water heaters or dishwashers) can be recycled. MRC is certified for Freon removal.
Shredding Recycling Items
· All types of paper, invoices, bank statements, medical records, contracts, credit card receipts, etc.
· Note that staples, rubber bands, folders, paper clips, etc. do not need to be removed before shredding occurs.
For more information or questions: email email@example.com or visit recycling.slu.edu and click on e-waste or go here: http://www.slu.edu/facilities-services-home/sustainability/campus-operations/recycling-and-waste-reduction/recycling/electronics-recycling/annual-e-waste-drive.
Editor’s Note: Brandon Verhoff, Director of Sustainability & Benchmarking, is available for interviews before and the day of the drive. Photo and video opportunities also will be available. Call Jeanette Grider in University Communications at (314) 977-2538 to schedule. Attached photo of 2013 collection day courtesy of Saint Louis University.
- Occurred Friday, March 28th, 2014 @ 7:00 am – 2:00 pm